Sunday, January 20, 2008

Good, Better, and Best.

Those three words are my New Year's resolution. I really love this article by Dallin H. Oaks. He teaches that although a certain activity or hobby may be a "good" way to spend our time or other resources, there is usually another option that is better or, even, the best option. He gives this example of when Christ visited Mary and Martha:
"Jesus taught this principle in the home of Martha. While she was “cumbered about much serving” (Luke 10:40), her sister, Mary, “sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word” (v. 39). When Martha complained that her sister had left her to serve alone, Jesus commended Martha for what she was doing (v. 41) but taught her that “one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her” (v. 42). It was praiseworthy for Martha to be “careful and troubled about many things” (v. 41), but learning the gospel from the Master Teacher was more “needful.” The scriptures contain other teachings that some things are more blessed than others (see Acts 20:35; Alma 32:14–15)."
So that's my focus this year. I know I should just go ahead and shoot for the "best", but I'm not going to disappoint myself, and I'm just going to do better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a nice blog! So, if I thought you were the best before, and now you are going to be BETTER, that means I have a lot of work ahead of me this year! Do you want to know my resolution? To eat better. I've failed... miserably.

Anonymous said...

We had this as a family home evening topic a few months ago with the Tippetts and the Difiores. I loved it. There are so many things I do that I could put off so I would have more time to read my scriptures. Thank you for the reminder. I love this blog. -Marcie

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online